Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Broken Solar Cells, Bitchin garden

So my solar cells ended up being pretty busted up when it was finally time to open them up and solder all of them together. I only had enough cells that were still connected to the tabbing wire to build half of a panel which threw a damper into my plans considering that I had bought everything that i needed for the full 18 volt panel. So I decided to order some more cells and to put this project on hold for a bit. So I've decided to post some pictures of some other projects that I'm currently working on. We have about two hundred square feet of gardening space ready all around our house. We have a raised bed with a plastic covering so we can start plants earlier and also keep plants warm until it's time for them to go in the ground. Also we can grow stuff that requires warmer temperatures. The 3rd picture is a design of a small insulated pvc greenhouse that I am working on. This greenhouse is going to be used for growing gourmet mushrooms (oyster mushrooms will be the main mushrooms that i will grow in the greenhouse). I also have plans for an enclosed plastic structure to build in my garage where I could grow shitake mushrooms (shitake mushrooms prefer colder temperatures for fruiting). The last picture is of two different jars of rye berries inoculated with oyster mushroom mycelium. Notice that the jar on the left is fully colonized and ready to be transferred into ten more half gallon jars. Our yard is a complete carbon cycle with mushrooms decomposing the wood and trimmings from our fruit trees and then providing food which then end up in the compost with all of our other scraps only to bring nutrients back to our soil for healthier plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment